Friday, April 30, 2010

Welcome to Melbourne - We Want to eat your Brains!

I arrived this morning - bright and early, after what can only be described as the most incredible flight of all time.  Qantas really knows how to make you fall in love with their service, starting with the fact they always address you by your name, the seats are luxurious and to top it off, they feed you really yummy meals.  The gift bags full of goodies to make your trip easier don't hurt either.  

I have to admit, I didn't even notice the length of the flight; I barely had a chance to consider the time spent cooped up, thanks to all the entertainment they offer with their "Q on Demand" stations, and the feedings (they really were full on meals, complete with dessert, alcoholic beverages of your choosing, and some sort of yummy pastry that I really shouldn't have eaten!)  I did manage to get a fair bit of sleep too, which is rather uncommon for me.  I tend to have a 'performance' anxiety issue when it comes to sleeping in public places, but I managed a solid 6 hours none the less.  Fabulous. 

When I deplaned this morning, I felt completely awake (shocking) and ready to take on the world.  That feeling dissipated slightly when, come the time for the security check, there was a billboard posting saying that Channel 7 was filming their customs/security tv reality show.  Now, if you've ever seen it, you will understand when I say that I was horrified.  Those people - the ones they yank aside unceremoniously - are the most absurd and frustrating cases of deviants ever to try and smuggle fish/seeds/animals/poultry, etc into Australia.  So, granted, they're idiots, but ... I somehow had a moment's panic that I would be caught smuggling in a pack of breath mints and a mini-sized pack of M&M's, and then face the wrath of the smarmy Channel 7 bloke as security carried me off to fine me A$20,000 and throw me in jail.  Seriously.  Thankfully, that did not happen, but I held my breath through the entire experience and only released it when clear of the 'secure' area.  

Now, after so many hours sitting, I took it upon myself to haul my luggage for the walk to the hotel, and drop it off.  A half hour later (mostly walking in circles as there were numerous pedestrian closings due to construction), I managed to be free of my massive amount of stuff.  I didn't check in because Jayne won't be here until tonight, and feeling as great as I did, I saw no reason to - why pay for another day when we don't have to.  Mind you, I look like death (pictures to follow) but I did manage a quick wash and change while at the hotel lobby washroom.  From there I hauled my cookies BACK to the airport (avoiding the secure areas and potential hell from Channel 7) and grabbed the SkyBus to take the twenty minute ride from the airport back into Melbourne city center.

The SkyBus dropped me off at the Spencer Street Station, at which point I walked out and randomly turend myself in any direction, and set off.  Jayne doesn't arrive until almost 8pm, and I don't need to head back to the airport until 7-ish, so having an itinerary is pointless. 

I've been walking for hours - since 9 am, actually, and it's been a good adventure.  I have managed to cover a lot of ground, because it seems like the thing I should do when I have nothing stopping me, and no sense of where I want to be.  Museums, parks, bridges, and even now a public library... I'm making the most of my day! 

I spent a good chunk of my morning walking along the Yarra River, taking pictures and marveling at the mish-mash of architecture, as well as the random ways that people manage to yell things across the river.  At any given time, a conversation is being held, very loudly, at a very great distance.  For a while I sat on a bench and applied sunscreen - it's a balmy 18 degrees here, sunny and moderately windy, but lovely none-the-less - and listened to birds. 

After my park-lounging, I wandered back into civilization, and went in search of food.  This was much harder than I would have anticipated. 

Walking up Swanston, after leaving the cafe where I finally had lunch, what did I walk into?  Thousands of zombies.  Seriously.  They were everywhere, blood dripping from their mouths, detached limbs dragging behind them, and dozens of broken down, decrepit bodies being hauled up the street in true 'Night of the Living Dead' fashion.  It was enough to make Shannon proud! 

The chants were hard to miss... "What do we want?" and "Brains," were called out feverishly in the background.  "We want to eat your brains!"  Lovely!  Actually, it was quite the fun mob scene, and everywhere you looked there were people hanging off of each other, running into traffic to accost motorists, and just generally create chaos.  I spent a half hour walking and talking with the zombies, occasionally being accosted myself, and just generally enjoying the atmosphere. 

I did, however, miss the zombies versus humans yesterday.  I am saddened by this, but at least am pleased that I got to see the million zombie march. 

So far my general impression of Australia is that it is expensive, extremely difficult to order coffee, and so expansive that even with several days I'll never see a tenth of this city.  And I love it.  The people are kind, the coffee is incredible, and there are pastry and chocolate shops on nearly ever corner, giving me a good head start on picking up sweets for Jayne tonight. 

The expense of things - which I suppose is caused by everything having to be shipped so very far to get here - is understandable, but still hard to swallow.  I paid A$3 for a bottle of water that would cost me 69 cents Canadian.  I looked at books in a shop and there were none for less than A$20 (soft covers, no less!) and a very meager lunch (that was yummy, though nothing fancy) cost me almost A$15 when at home it would have probably cost closer to C$8. 

Still, regardless of the expense or of the zombies who are roaming free, I do love Melbourne.  So far it's been a lovely day, and this casual swing-in to the public library has given me a chance to rest my aching feet a while. 

Next up I'm headed to the park, and possibly for another coffee.  I might still be able to catch up with the zombies too, and find out what all the cool un-dead are doing tonight.  Who knows, maybe I'll want to participate after we get Jayne and Squidge to bed! 

Right now, I'm just so thankful to be alert and feeling well, and here.  Finally!  It still feels unreal! 

2 comments:

  1. Did you run into a Zombie Walk??? That's awesome! I didn't know they did that as far away as Australia.

    So, does it feel like a different world? Have you seen any Kangaroos yet? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did! It was hella-fun! I guess this is the fifth annual or something to that effect. I desperately want to post pics, but it's killin' me.

    Definitely different world-like. Lots of strange stuff, including gum trees and eucalyptus. Strange highways/freeways/tollways and driving backwards, lol. Oh, and no Kangaroos yet, but today we're hitting the ocean road, so it's likely we'll see Koalas! :)

    ReplyDelete