Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Slowly Getting Back to my Life

I'm slowly making my way home, though to say slowly might be an understatement.  The train is at a standstill for the fifth or sixth time since leaving Toronto three hours ago.  We've been delayed, over and over again, though for various reasons.  Firstly there was a pedestrian struck by a train ahead of us, then we had to 'pair' up with another train (which was somehow supposed to make us move faster).  Next up was the delay because the train we paired up with broke down and then we got stopped for a random inspection.  

As I type, we're crawling along the track at a pace that would make Sunday drivers wave their fists in the air in frustration, but at least we're moving.  It's a slow process.  

Earlier, there were views to admire, and a world to see.  I snapped a few random pictures as we went, thinking that there was something comforting about the pace.  Now, as my arrival time approaches (and I'm no where near home) I'm getting more and more skeptical.  

  

For a while we were stopped and I had a lovely view of whatever small community this is.  It was very close to Toronto, though I don't remember much because this was the point at which they began telling us about the backlog.  



Eventually we moved a little further along and found this just outside of Cobourg.  I can't decide if I think this view is extremely beautiful or extremely sad.  A part of me is thankful for just the few last memories of winter, while the rest of me realizes that it will be a while before this all becomes green and beautiful as it should.  



When we finally reached Bowmanville, it was just before sunset.  It was still remarkably clear and bright, and when I looked out my window, I remembered that there was indeed evidence of Lake Ontario along the way.  Somehow this reminds me of a view I once had while in California, but as such a distant memory I think I might instead need to head back and be sure.  

It's completely dark now, and aside from random speckling of light on the horizon, there's not much to be seen.  I've watched two movies (already) and will break open a third at any moment.  The view isn't enough to entertain, and try as I might to pretend I find it of interest, now I am once again thinking of how fondly I enjoy travel by car and by plane.  

No comments:

Post a Comment