Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day Four - Beware of Flying Excrement


We’re getting good at being on the road (even without maps…)  So far, we’ve clocked just about 1000 kms in under four days, and there’s still lots to see. 

Waking up in our Geelong retro-hotel, we set out bright and early to go to Phillip’s Island.  On the island, you can visit numerous things: the penguin parade, the nobbies, and a koala conservation site.  All of the above are incredible opportunities, but there is only so much time in a day – we had to be somewhat strategic. 

The drive from Geelong to Phillip’s Island is normally about two and a half hours long.  Seeing as we tend to navigate without maps (this is now a tradition with us, even though we always set out with the intentions of being prepared… this time it’s my fault: I forgot my GPS at home) 2.5 hours seemed like a decent drive.



On our way out of Geelong, we stopped at a roadside gas station and had a quick breakfast – overpriced coffee and eggs and bacon on toast.  I just have to say this: Australians really know how to cut their bacon – it is the most yummy, thickly sliced pieces that are cooked to perfection (not too crispy, not too ‘wet’)  The coffee is incredible, but I struggle paying A$4 for a long black with a bit of milk when it’s just about the size of a small Starbucks coffee (that I’d normally pay less than C$2 for!) 

Once we got to the Island (after a few missed turns – Jayne should know by now not to let me navigate!) we went to the Koala conservation first.  This is perhaps the most reasonably priced thing we’ve embarked on yet, since admission was merely A$10 and we definitely got our money’s worth.  In a matter of just a few minutes, we’d located several koalas and wallabies happily grazing amidst the gum trees.  Wandering the treetop bridges, we would have to duck and cover as apparently koalas are well and truly armed – little pellets of feces were plummeting toward the earth at warp speed. 

Koalas, I’ve decided, are adorable, but they do have a strangely demonic look to them that makes me wonder if they’re up to no-good.  After all, there must have been some strategy – they sit up their tree, waiting for a hapless tourist, and then lines up their target…  splat.  We were fortunate – we managed to dodge the poo, but I’m not sure that all tourists make it out quite so easily. 

I made the mistake of calling one of them a ‘poo-flinger’ in front of Ben.  He then repeated it over and over again, and decibels that drew attention to us from even the Japanese tourists several spots down the bridge.  Ops. 

The overcast skies turned dark, and while driving to the nobbies, we realized there was no hope to get to spend any more time on the island.  It was windy, cool, and pouring rain.  As much as it would be nice to stay and wait it out, it was hopeless. 

On our way off the island, we instead decided to entertain ourselves with street signs, which are really quite fabulous here.  “Beware, Koala Crossing” is pleasing, as is “Birds on Bridge at Night” which struck me as something that sounded like a poor pick up line or a singles’ bar. 

By the time we made it to St Kilda (a Melbourne Suburb) it was about 5pm, and I was knackered.  Somehow this week I’d managed to do in my neck/shoulders, so by the time I drove back the 2 hours in pouring rain (I was prepared to build an ark!) I was completely drained. 

Our newest hotel was amazing.  I think it’s intent was to be used by backpackers, but the location was prime real estate near the beach, and aside from tram traffic all night long, it was heaven. 

I fell asleep at 6:30 – I think I might have been a little wiped out from the drive…  

No comments:

Post a Comment