Friday, May 14, 2010

Muppets are Bootilicious - Seriously!

Today, I learned many things. 

I learned that dolphins experience 13 months of gestation (and in captivity, are content enough to have ultrasounds), that sting rays are really very placid (and have no teeth), that Disney has yet again failed me, as starfish are bumpy and hard, as opposed to soft and fluffy, and that muppets can really shake their groove-things.  Seriously. 

As you can probably tell, Sea World was incredibly educational for me. 

It was a good day in all, except for gay pirates that seemed to be stand-ins for the Highschool Musical cast, and with a very questionable accent, no less. 

I also learned that polar bears, apparently, want to be brown bears as they rolled in mulch that made them look like Yogi, even sharks don’t want to live in Canada, and it’s fun to get wet. 

Watching Bert and Ernie’s Island Holiday at Sea World was something akin to hell for me, but Ben seemed to love it.  The cast – Bert and Ernie, of course, Big Bird, Grover, Cookie Monster, Zoe and Elmo – were all pretty into their songs too, shaking their respective booty in ways that I was unaware muppets could.  Elmo, in particular, seemed to have a shimmy unbecoming of a respectable, red monster*. 

Now, the premise of this show – which at best would be described as 15 minutes of frolicking fur – was that Bert and Ernie went on vacation in the Caribbean and discover that they enjoyed it very much.  They liked their island, the banana tree (that was apparently completely foreign to them) and the random musical numbers that they kept breaking out into. 

This is when I realized that somewhere along the way, Jayne and I have morphed into Bert and Ernie.  I refuse to consider too seriously who is who, as neither is a particularly good option, but seeing as we’re both on our very own ‘tropical’ island, having just discovered banana trees for the first time, and cranking the tunes in the car at decibels that would be ear-deafening to most, it is worrisome.  My only consolation is that we have better shoes and eyebrows. 

We spent quite a long time at Sea World, which was a good thing considering how ridiculously expensive it was for admission (A$72/pp) and how many things were actually closed for seasonal renovation.  Thankfully, being off season also meant that there were almost no queues and that we were able to get up close and personal with the animals (though it in no way compares to the awe I still feel for the Australia Zoo) 

Aside from the dodgy Sesame Street show and the animal facts, Ben and I rode on a Splash Mountain-style ride that apparently took us deep into the Bermuda Triangle to be abducted by aliens – Ben loved it.  I don’t remember being quite so brave at four, but the poor thing drives with Jayne and me regularly so he is likely already accustomed to fast starts, strange stops, and what must feel like plummeting to the earth periodically. 

We had yummy soft-serve ice cream with lime-flavoured syrup and were so steaming hot that we drank what felt like a billion bottles of water.  So many Aussies were there, in ten layers and dressed as if it were ten degrees.  We were wishing we could remove more layers. 

Dinner tonight was at a cool Irish pub complete with a crazy A$10 Steak dinner, and live musical accompaniment.  It felt very much like a regular dinner out – just as I would have in Ottawa or whatever destination I might be living in.  As much as I’m not enamored with Surfer’s Paradise, I am very much in love with Australia itself. 

Before I got here, I had written it off as a neat place to go with a friend however it had never been a dream destination for me.  Now I very much consider Australia as a place to which I must return, for as long as I can manage, and next time around I have a much better idea as to how to plan, and what the financial demands will be. 

Tomorrow marks my two weeks here – I feel like it’s been much longer, and still not long enough.  Next week is the more luxurious part of the journey, with us in Sydney from Sunday on, and staying in four-star accommodations for the entirety.  I look forward to the adventure, perhaps to more time walking around solitarily, and also more time to get to know my amazing little Squidge, who has grown up so much already – and even in the past couple of weeks. 


*I have taken quite a bit of flack from Jayne for labeling Elmo a monster, as apparently his species is adequately described as ‘Muppet’ where as I think that’s far too broad of a classification.  As per Jayne, muppet is adequate as a descriptor and calling him a monster implies something negative; I counter that not all monsters are inherently bad, but that it’s their actions that define whether they’re good or bad (as it does with humans).   By that classification, Cookie Monster, Grover, Elmo and Zoe would be monsters, while Big Bird is obviously just that, and Snuffleupagus is just a hairy, earless mutant elephant with gender issues (am I the only one who remembers her to be a him during their youth?)  Jayne says I’m a labeler; Ben agrees with me.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. When I was a kid, the Muppets referred to themselves and each other as monsters. If they've since stopped doing so, it must be because it's no longer politically correct to label them in that way. I'm also interested to hear more about this idea that Snuffy is a girl. When I was a kid, he was a guy. And he was Big Bird's imaginary friend. Nobody else could see him.

    I'm also fairly certain that I just commented on one of your other posts under Tom's profile. That was me, not him. Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! It's been hotly contended, even now, several days later, lol. Apparently I was the only kid on the block who didn't know that Snuffy's a girl when, I was positive that she was a boy during my childhood. Frustrating (and confusing!) Damn gender-bending mutant elephants of the questionably unreal/real variety.

    LOL, no worries - I'm not stressin' (you or Tom, it's nice to hear from people... I hear about six or seven e-mails of people who read the blog, and you're the only one who comments - it's great to have some conversation!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog has recently become part of my morning coffee routine. I'll miss doing it when you come home and you're too busy working every day to blog.

    Oh, I had a question about the Bert and Ernie from show you saw. Did they sound like our Bert and Ernie (like, did they hire American actors to do the voices) or were they Australian. I'm fairly certain that years ago I saw a documentary where the folks at Sesame Workshop talked about different versions of the show that play all over the world, and the cultural differences between them all. And on that note, is British Sesame Street the same as ours? I'm wondering if they no longer do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, well, I'm glad we get to keep in touch, even though I'm currently on the other side of the world. When I'm at home, nothing nearly as interesting happens, you see, so it would be a very boring blog, me thinks. ;)

    Bert and Ernie (and friends) all sounded like they do in the American Show - it was a recorded cd I'm assuming, that the puppets lip-synched to, a la Brittney Spears :) I don't know that it's standard in non-English speaking countries, but I think even in the UK they have their 'American Voices' for things like that - the workshop keeps those characters pretty in hand (nobody wants a rabid muppet!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, lip-syncing makes sense! I think I understand this better now, which is a good thing because it was really making me think about Muppets in more depth than anybody ever should.

    When you get back we should talk on the phone. I've got tons of things to tell you! When are you coming back?

    ReplyDelete